PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Last 727 flght for AAE
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2009, 07:45
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
The 727 will always be my favourite, my initial command and also the nicest handling aircraft I've ever flown. Like all thoughbreds though, it would bite if you were sloppy in speed and sink control, especially approaching the flare. I've done my worst and best landings in that plane. It was built like a brick outhouse with not only a forward and aft mainspar but a keel beam like a ship. The cockpit was battleship grey, no carpet and rivets on the floor like something from the Clyde Shipyard. Fast in the climb and cruise it was maybe a little underpowered on a hot day out of Alice, especially with the LR version operating at 89,409kg MAXTOW with the Dash 15's. Funny that I can remember these figures after all this time, yet had trouble with my ex-wifes birthday! (maybe that's why she is my ex). A handfull with manual reversion, having hydraulic pumps only on 1 and 2 engine. With only number 3 running you worked hard to get it back in the sim. I have read the DC-9 thread with great interest and sadly went F27 to 737 and never flew it. It also sounds like a real aeroplane. How lucky I have been to fly at least one real classic and how sad the current generation have missed these wonderfull beasts. I fly 'all glass' these days like everyone else, but something is missing, todays aeoplanes are quite boring.