PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FlyGlobeSpan - 8 (merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2009, 22:10
theredbarron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who owns NCL ?

Tom D is absolutely right here. Maybe this post is a bit off-thread, i.e. not specifically Fly Globespan, but I just want to add that I am wholeheartedly in favour of an EDI sell-off but not to anyone owning either of the two major North of England airports of Manchester and Newcastle. That would simply create a new competition issue. I know that MAN is owned by a consortium of N of England local authorities, but who owns NCL ?

In the case of Manchester Airport Group, just go look at the investment they have made at East Midlands in the years that they have owned it: can't be more then two and sixpence, if that. What a dump, save for the new check-in area it is still mostly a clapboard building like the old Turnhouse of 30 years ago, not one airbridge, the slowest security I have ever gone through, and no doubt left that way to encourage pax to use MAN.

I hope that out there somewhere there is a group of Scottish entrepreneurs willing to come up with the £££s to take Edinburgh on; given the current financial climate it could well be a good buy for the longer term. If not maybe Mr Salmond will buy it for the country?