PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol Britannia details
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2009, 20:13
Postfade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
828a- glad to be able to bring back some memories, so (hoping that I'm not diverting this thread too much) - here are a few more:

A general view of the Paya Lebar maintenance hangars with the Admin Block and Control Tower in the background. Taken from around the flying club 1962.

Here's G-ANBJ taken looking down from the Admin Block. a hive of activity as she's turned around.

What routes were Malayan Airways running with the Brits then, I can't remember now?

Other Britannia 102's that I've got pics of are;
G-ANBJ

and G-ANBM

I also can't remember how many were on charter from BOAC at any onetime.

Finally the following photo from the first one that I posted. This is G-ANBF starting with port inner running.

Paya Lebar looks quiet in this shot. Aircraft movements were far less than we are used to nowadays and during an afternoon in 1961/2, I could probable expect to see a couple of Britannia turn arounds, a couple of Dak/Friendship or Viscount departures and maybe an Air India Super Connie or 707. Maybe a 'short nosed' Qantas 707-138 or a Convair 880M (anyone remember them?) from Cathay or JAL might come through if I stayed long enough.
Still I'd wander back through the nearby Malay kampong to pickup the bus on the Tamplines Road happy with that. I was only 14 or 15 at the time.

David Taylor.