PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a 747 Classic/Tristar with no FE
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2009, 19:56
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply trim the thrust like he was supposed to.

411A, you may have 26 years or whatever on the Tristar, but it seems from some of your comments that you've not learnt a whole lot in all that time. The post from Tristar500, which you seem to find familiar, "that the smart F/E simply trimmed the thrust" is fine if the EGT limit has not been exceeded in time or value. Just resetting the pointer after such events without being able to enter the EGT max value and duration tells the maintenance people nothing of value. From your later comment that nothing went into the Tech Log without the Commander's specific approval (sanctioned by the Fleet Manager) is a system which ignores the knowledge and experience of the flight engineer, and is likely illegal. I have never had to work under such a system, in fact would not work under such conditions. Thankfully the Military and the Civil operators with whom I worked believed that I had been trained well enough to know what needed to be entered in the Tech Log and what did not. Those airlines which use pilots in the F/E position have "panel operators", not professional flight engineers.

Last edited by Old Fella; 1st Jan 2009 at 21:17.