PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2009, 19:01
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a long overdue and logical step and merely reflects the different way that the RAF Regiment operates and should go some way towards recognising the levels of commitment and huge direct responsibilities and challenges that young SAC Gunners thrive on (as well as aiding retention?).

I think back to dozens of superb and enthusiastic airmen who simply left because there was no promotion prospects for that massive leap to Cpl even though they were doing, and proudly so, the role of section commander with almost subliminal ease. Many people join the RAF Regt to infanteer because they want to do the job but also have a slightly wonky, left field view of life. Many are quick minded and clever and will move on if they think someone is either taking the piss or if they need a challenge or deserve proper recognition which isn't forthcoming.

My 2ic's cadre was harder than my FT1, and although we almost mock the role of the RAF Regiment in main base defence, as a very young 2ic, when I commanded men against various terrorists who had demonstrated time and time again, their ability to successfully target innocent people. I didn't hear anyone complain then, that I wasn't fit to do the job that a L/Cpl does.

So if a man is considered capable of commanding and leading (not managing) an 8 man section plus some serious weight of fire support, plus being the man on the ground coordinating a larger response, why should he not (in principle) be considered suitable to discipline errant SAC stackers or SAC technicians if the ends justifies the means? I'm not saying that he should, rather reflecting on the previous poster's blanket comment; that 'thankfully', he shouldn't. The RAF at large should be grateful it has youing men of this calibre, and reward and recognise the fact not begrudge it. I'm glad that it has.

edit:

Just read Gunnerrock's link about the new rank being unique to the Regt.

However, this requirement will be reviewed should a compelling case arise.
I imagine there would be quite a few other instances of the rank being useful elsewhere, especially at forward refuelling points and the like. I'm surprised it has taken so long to recognise the need, perhaps the move towards all things Purple demands parity. When RAFG closed down, wasn't a certain Bruggen Stn Cdr promoted to Air Commodore to address exactly that?

Last edited by Al R; 2nd Jan 2009 at 06:17.