PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2009, 10:54
penny pincher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaky Future

"As I said before, if you peel back the veneer, you find that the AAC has only ever been about anti-tank and obs and recce and now they have one aircraft that does it all brilliantly they don't need Lynx. The answer is more SH but then the battle for power begins and the AAC recognises its vulnerability especially as now everyone is in JHC and so many command/staff posts are held by AAC officers. If the AAC is drawn down to just AH 64 then there is no need for all those staff officers and the AAC grip on JHC power disappears followed shortly by the AAC itself."

Without a shadow of doubt, the reality seems to be biting that this is the truth of our predicament, I would suggest that in these times of high operational Tempo, aircrew would not care which uniform they wear as long as they are providing they user with what THEY want, rather than some mish mash of capabilities that just so happen to suit an airframe. As has been said, with two airframes going in the very near future, I fear it IS too late to change the inevitability of being absorbed in some way, shape or form.
What delayed the inevitability was cosiness of N Ireland, (a whole Regiment!?) and Germany with it's Anti Tank,and Boz on the doorstep. Times have changed, I just wonder what political will in DAAvn will be flexed to effect or fight the change. Depends on what Jobs on offer in the S West I suppose.
I wash my hands of FLynx, I moved on cos the only people that will be flying it are QHI's and a handful of aircrew supporting ops, that's about as much as can be expected from a Regiments worth of helicopters. Good luck to them. I sincerely mean it.

Happy New Year All