PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dash 8 Mff
Thread: Dash 8 Mff
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2008, 22:39
annaconda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our airline looks as if they will introduce common crewing on 200/300/400.
Just wondering if there are any problems swapping between types at short notice. My oufit is notorious for quick change decisions and I can envisage say a 400 going u/s and they will transfer the crew to a 300 with the usual comment " are you ready to board yet? "

The 200/300 is a cat B aircraft and the 400 a cat C aircraft. Practically for our outfit this at present means different plateau heights, different circling areas, different minimums, different operating characteristics reference bleeds on/bleeds off takeoffs, different flap settings for takeoffs, different takeoff power settings, standing starts at max weight vs always rolling starts, fadec vs non-fadec. How do others handle the multitude of differences when fatiqued/tired?

Does your airline try to standardize all these differences, say common plateau hts, all takeoffs bleeds off, same flap settings for takeoffs etc to minimize stuff ups? I can see major problems with common crewing if it is not managed and introduced properly. We've already had problems with some F/Os transitioning from 200/300 to 400 and reverting to classic procedures on hurried takeoffs and turning the bleed air valves off for takeoff, with the subsequent non-pressurization of the 400 on climb. (caveat: no offence intended to F/Os or the Capts involved, just goes to show that flying these different types are a problem when tired.)

I feel that the managers have seen B737 crews fly the 400/NG combo, but correct me no doubt, these aircraft would have same plateau hts, same circling areas, same minimums, roughly same fuel requirements. We will be flying totally different aircraft under the same endorsement DHC8.

Thanks for your replies, if we have to do common crewing I'd like to know what we are really up against.