PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots who overshot Hawaii runway fired, face FAA action
Old 31st Dec 2008, 22:20
ExSp33db1rd

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
......( pls. don't pick me up on details - doesn't matter.) .........
Trappist - once again you've totally missed the point of my comment, didn't even read my post properly - see above.

I wasn't commenting on details subsequently contained in the accident report, which hadn't been produced so soon after the event, therefore I couldn't have read it, could I ?

At the time of the Bristol / Basle accident, that Fount of All Knowledge, the Great British Public Leaning Against the Bar - only 1% of whom can even spell 'aviation' - were being wound up by the Press about Crew Fatigue, and there was a suggestion that there might be more legislation, as a result the BBC interviewer asked the airline M.D. the question.

I made my complaint at the time, before any facts were known, as a result of a totally unsupported, and emphatic, off the cuff remark by the M.D. obviously trying to give an early impression that his companies' actions with regard to crew rostering were blameless, maybe in the final analysis a perfectly accurate assessment, but at the time he couldn't possibly have known that - it was the concept that upset me, not necessarily the subsequent details, which might well prove otherwise.

To suggest that there was no issue of crew fatigue JUST BECAUSE the accident happened at Breakfast Time, and aforesaid GBP would accept that that is the time -after a restful nights' sleep of snoring and fornication - when one is at ones brightest and best, was arguably devious. I used my hypothetical example at the time, to show what could quite easily have been a fatigued crew starting that flight from Bristol at 'breakfast time'. Anyone with any knowledge of aviation, be it longhaul airline or Company charter work, would agree with that.

If there was to be discussion and legislation at Gov't. level, I wished my elected rep. to know FACTS that could affect crew rostering. Whether or not fatigue was or was not a factor in that particular instance, was irrelevant - at that time it was still a possibility, and to be dismissed so lightly on a public broadcast so soon after the accident was just plain WRONG. I don't blame that M.D. for trying, that's Politics and Big Business, but I had a contrary view and made my displeasure known where it might have had some effect, it clearly didn't, but at least I tried. QED.

Make whatever reply you wish, I'm not interested, the New Year has arrived, the sun is shining, the wind is calm, the water is sparkling - I've had a good nights rest and it's breakfast time, so I can't possibly be fatigued. I think I'll go fly my microlight around bits of New Zealand.

Good Day.

jjflyer - Thank you, no I wasn't referring to the Heathrow Vanguard but the Somerset Womens' Inst. disaster a few years later - can't even remember if that a/c was indeed a Vanguard, think it was, but it doesn't matter, the a/c type was immaterial to my remarks. Cheers.

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 1st Jan 2009 at 21:17.