PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai the biggest and deepest S.H. on planet Earth
Old 31st Dec 2008, 16:48
Inspector Clueless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I came,I saw,I left.

I did almost 13 years in the sand pit.

It is my humble opinion that EK "could" have been the finest and most sought after job in the world-and DXB as a place to live-BUT they blew it in a big way on both fronts through greed,hubris and utter arrogance.Im am afraid the arrival of CK,AS & ED were the nails in the coffin for me and many of my era(150 plus in 2 years),they truly did absolutely nothing except do as their masters demanded by worsening a once decent job,yet all had long tenures at major unionised carriers.They conveniently left any integrity behind.Having now met colleagues of all at their previous airlines all were held in low esteem EK took them. AAR started the slide,he has been helped along by the UAE DGCA and EK underlings topping up significant non UAE pensions "back home".In the meantime many pilots who would not dream of coming to DXB previously came as their airlines went to the wall.There were x2 Americans when I joined....the success of EK has been amazing but it most certainly was not on a level playing field,but to suggest it was and still is is really hard to accept.The PR people did a great job.

The first 5-6 years were good but the arrival of arrogant and spineless "managers" both expat and local was the start of the slide for me.The experience I gained was great as it is for many,early command,widebody,etc etc but for me the lack of freedom of speech and utter hypocrosy of the locals and their expat sycophants running EK made the job unattractive and tiring beyond belief on "adjusted FTLs",cost neutral,etc ploicies aided by a compliant authority.

The job is easy and secure,but be realistic if you ever fall through the cracks on the glossy veneer of DXB there is NO safety net.I saw at very close hand death on the roads,astonishing medical incompetance and break ins,the DXB police were frankly unbelievable.Expect zero help from your embassy.

VR posts some inconvenient truths for the uninitiated and others can draw upon personal experience.My neighbour was even called to the office by CK and told in no uncertain terms to "keep quiet" about the break in to his villa,as it doesnt "help encourage" pilots to join.

There are drawbacks to being back in Europe of course as highlighted,but I would never return nor could I live in DXB again but it can offer a great deal providing you remain aware of the fact that as an expat you mean nothing and you never will to EK or the UAE.Take what you can for you and your family but beware there is an increased risk should you ever fall through the cracks.DXB aspires to greatness but of course it cannot and never will be a true 1st world city until democracy arrives with a fair honest legal system,and we all know that is unlikely-ever.

There remains life after EK,but it is taxed.

Happy New Year & safe flying,

IC