PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airstrip continues
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2002, 09:33
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Sherlowe Airstrip continues - for now

A thread a little while back in www.flyer.co.uk urged pilots to write to Telford, Shropshire council to support the continuance of Sherlowe as a private airstrip. At a council planning meeting last night, permission was given for the strip to continue operating for the next 12 months on a limited basis of 4 aircraft movements per day.

reported by bbc local news at http://www.bbc.co.uk/shropshire/news/index.shtml#nib

This was despite vociferous and apparently hysterical objection from a "rentamob" and a rather extreme councillor who wanted the whole thing stopped. Local Telford radio is today apparently reporting the decision in an anti-aviation way. However, their website changed to a more positive note after some protests from aviators

This strip has always operated in a very low key way, & it seems a great shame that someone with a bee in his bonnet about aircraft generally (ie the councillor in question) has been able to exert so much negative influence in the area. (wonder how/where he goes on his holidays?)

Apparently, this guy was also instrumental in getting a past project for a joint airfield/housing development in the Telford area stopped some time ago. Personally, I would have loved to buy a house where I could park my plane....

Anyway, a minor victory for common sense, but please be aware that Sherlowe operates in a very low key way, is VERY noise sensitive, and any contemplated usage is PPR by contact/briefing with the strip operator.

...and if you are looking at the bbc website why not post them a comment supporting the decision?

Last edited by poetpilot; 12th Apr 2002 at 07:26.