PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ocean Sky
Thread: Ocean Sky
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2008, 11:44
Midwest Executive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Midwest Executive Aviation Birmingham

Dear "aviationga"

Just to set the record straight. Midwest Executive Aviation Ltd, opted not to renew a new lease at Birmingham after our first three year lease expired to concentrate on our core business of smaller regional airports. I don't see how you deduced that closing one of three offices constitues going "bankrupt".. The company constitutes two further FBO locations at Durham Tees Valley Airport and Newquay Cornwall Airport with new dedicated facilities opening at both in early 2009 and two possible new airport openings.

I am not a big fan of Pprune for this very reason and rarely contribute (unless to correct a completely incorrect statement such as this). If any aviation company that has over the past six months, reduced the size of their operation, made redundancies, closed offices or returned aircraft are "going bankrupt" then I think we are all doomed!

Wild, speculative rumours, without any substance such as this for any carrier, FBO or airport are extremely damaging. Suppliers and customers reading these posts, take them as gospel and either suspend lines of credit or stop chartering their aircraft. If you say that an operator is looking fragile, dont you think then that brokers will be reluctant to use them. If you state that an FBO is going bust do you think that fuel companies and airports may hesitate over awarding credit? Reckless unfounded rumours will only make the whole current economic climate in 2009 more difficult for everyone.

Personally I admire the likes of Ocean Sky for what they have achieved to date. There isn't many organisations that could have achieved such a significant rate of growth in such a short space of time. I am sure that they will have to, like everyone else, cut back and close down areas of business that aren't performing. Anyone who is carrying any surplus fat in 2009 is going to struggle.

I appreciate that the concept of Pprune is "rumours" but there are positive rumours, such as who has a new aircraft, new FBO facilities, whos recruiting and offering jobs, which airports are expanding and there are negative rumours, like who is going bust who isn't, operators that have made people redundant who aren't. Why isn't Pprune used to help develop businesses and share useful information like other industry "blogs" that actively help business owners and employees develop alike.

Like I said, I dont use Pprune as a rule, but I thought it worth using this comment by "aviationga" to say my piece and to take this opportunity to wish all colleagues, customers, suppliers and everyone in our industry the very best of luck for 2009 and if we pull together as an industry, it won't be so bad!

Best wishes to all,

Nick Weston.
Managing Director
Midwest Executive Aviation Limited.