PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2008, 08:24
Evalu8ter

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Crab, I would also add that the majority of our staff officers in procurement use the revolving door of 2 OJARs to get in and out as quickly as possible. It permits the rapid ascent of the greasy pole and ensures sufficient distance from any subsequent fall-out. In my experience the DECs have got some very capable people, they just don't stay there long enough as it is harmful to their careers.

Anyone that thinks the DEC has real power is delusional; they have to answer to the CMs who in turn answer to higher ups. The DECs are given insufficient funds to match the unrealistic requirements (military and political) that are imposed upon them. They have to massage funding lines in order to support other types, even more so as arbitary budget cuts are imposed from above. What would you have sacrificed to buy 120 Flynx? Chinook? Apache? They make some difficult calls, consequently, they are always the fall guys.

Interestingly, my friends at AW cringe every time the Danes are mentioned. Something about actually wanting stuff to work as per the contract-bit of a novelty for them!

Funky Monkey,
You are quite correct, the MoD needs to streamline the number of types, not increase them. Interesting comment re Puma LEP. However, the LEP is rather more intrusive than some spiffy blades and a lick of paint, hence it costs more. The rationale is that Puma 2 will have to last to 2022 (at least) whereas the Carson SK4 will be OSD in 2017 (yeah, sure...) therefore it has to have a number of obsolescence upgrades in addition to new cockpit, engines etc etc. I can't disagree with your statement that the crabs don't want to give up the plastic pig, nor, more importantly, the command positions that go with them...

I've got a bad feeling that FMH will go the same way as SABR and that both types will soldier on well into the 2020s.