PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link in Crisis again....now its for Captains!
Old 31st Dec 2008, 04:59
b55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like things have gone a bit quiet on this topic, so...
back to Mr. burger61's comments that have gone unnoticed and/or unanswered.
(top of page 4)
"I wouldn't worry too much about the pilot skills..." (of new F/O's)

What is this pure genius statement? Easy enough for you to say sitting at your desk, I guess, burger61.
Lets see, it was one of those "cushy, nice days for flying" that we pilots always have according to you, when the new F/O let us float down the runway not able to do any slight experienced pilot things, so as my hands moved across to push the power levers forward and call going around, he chopped the power and we hit as hard as I could remember, all the way back to that Qantas 707 landing that opened just about all the overhead baggage lockers. (I was sitting in economy by the way)
Smart F/O, you bet, smarter than me by a nautical mile.

Lets see, it was one of those "cushy, nice days for flying" that we pilots always have, when after the F/O's touching down we started veering to the edge of the runway, I having a good look at the edging quality of the grass cutting techniques of the the groundsmen.
Smart F/O, you bet, smarter that me by a nautical mile at the very least.

burger61, I would hazzard a guess that most of the pilots on this topic could give you alot more "cushy, nice day" stories about F/O's gaining their on the job experiences AFTER their line training. Line captains ARE training captains, that's one reason we don't put our hands up to do it full time.
But we shouldn't be too worried about their pilot skills.

The other statement I want to look at is ,"I have to put up with the sick and injured (on) a DAILY basis." WOW, I would hate to work there. Which airline has an ER ward on site?!

As you say we do have all those sunny nice days of flying. Boring as batsh-t, as they should be.Cabin altitude of 8,000ft. getting slightly hypoxic. Why am I so tired after an easy 8 hour day of flying duty time?!
What fun dodging vfr pilots afraid to talk to you in CTAF's. I love the bird strikes, they're pretty neat! Pax sick, HEY GREAT a diversion! Throwing drunks off my flight is some of the best fun I have EVER HAD!
The airline coffee is BATSH-T! Think of us buger61 next time you buy your latte at the terminal coffee shop.
The flight attendants don't stay on the flight deck long enough anymore to talk them into anything. Think of us next time you are casually chatting them up in your crewroom as you say you do.
Well, off to the pilot pissup for New Years. Now where is that list of whinges?

Last edited by b55; 31st Dec 2008 at 06:52.