PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do you use gps
Thread: do you use gps
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2008, 00:42
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The experienced pilot should be capable of working out their personal dividing line as to when he or she does, or does not require them.
Well, I suppose that is the nub of the argument.
Electronic navaids give no cop-out from basic navigation planning and airmanship. But integrated into them it makes it easier and us safer. Doesn't matter which system.

So, on that basis I think that non-use of systems such as GPS in PPL and CPL skills tests is daft
Specifically, how do you see GPS being examined? As part of the enroute/diversion? Any specific techniques? Would the examiner just switch it off mid flight? Crucially I would want to see somebody handle an unexpected enroute diversion. The problem I perceive with skills tests is that mine was rather benign in that the diversion was usually clear of CAS as the crow flies, I would think the examiner would be looking for the student to show they are aware of the proximity of CAS and how they use the unit to establish that information.

Naturally, I would interested in what the examiner would do if the student called off the test because the database was out of date or the unit was faulty!

Chuck,

Fine, but it seems to me that you deliberately misconstrue my opinions into some ridiculous anti GPS tirade. Ridicule isn't my thing. Fortunately I'm not all that bothered. I may have less than 1,000hrs and only 300 of those in GA, but my comments relate to my personal experience and opinion formed thereof.

Last edited by Sciolistes; 31st Dec 2008 at 00:54.