PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 x-wind take-off
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 22:07
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
B737 x-wind take-off

After reading the Denver thread I did a search for more xwind takeoff info on the 737. The other threads are closed so I thought it couldn't hurt to start another. This is a quote from another thread;

Firstly, about 10 degrees of control wheel movement is required to cause spoiler deployment. This is a very small control wheel input, yet I found this was ample to maintain directional control with a 34 knot crosswind (maximum for my model B737).

There was only 2 degrees of bank on the takeoff roll, yet almost full control wheel input (and full spoiler deflection) was required to level the wings. My opinion is that large doses of aileron/spoiler are not required to maintain directional control.
When I did my type rating we were taught that only 10 degrees control wheel input into wind should be used for a max xwind take-off to prevent spoiler deflection. The rest of the directional control needed, should be achieved by rudder. They also said that the control wheel input will need to be increased through the rotation to keep the wings level and that a rough guide to how much deflection is approx twice the xwind. For example if there is a 20kt xwind, then during the rotation the control wheel will need to be progressively moved through to about 40 degrees deflection.
I have found that this works quite well in real life.
In observing others take off in xwinds I sometimes think that they use too much of the ten degrees allowable aileron and as a result end up with very large rudder inputs to keep tracking straight down the strip. I don't consider myself an expert in this area by any means and would appreciate others opinions (if you are 737 rated).
Cheers, Framer.