PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F/Lynx all systems go at AW
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 21:27
wg13_dummy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gremlin,

I agree the engines are very good and the cockpit environment is none too shabby either. In fact, its rather good. More so for the FLynx. I have to take a bit of an issue with you on a few points though;

F Lynx build will be lower base weight, higher AUM and improved performance all around.
From what I understand, the base weight will be lower but that will be without 'role kit'. For example, the IRCM exhausts and particle separators. As you know with the Omani Super Lynx, the intake package is integral to the engine unit so its not really 'role kit'. As with the IRCMs. The base weight doesn't take into account the kit that will pretty much be permanently bolted to it such as the EO etc. The real base weight will in fact be higher than current and does actually give an ever so slightly higher margin than we currently have. But, as has been said already, volume is the issue not mass lift ability due to a cabin thats smaller than an SO3s desk space.

Nr will always be an issue with the CMRB but tell me an Aircraft that has not got its quirks???
Quirks are fine but when the quirks outweigh the benefits, it may be time to ask some questions.

The Mk 9 refit is a UOR needed to fulfill required tasks. and I would suspect that once fitted to the first airframes then the operators will be asking for the rest of the fleet to be fitted.
Completely agree as it will at least give us a much needed capability that we currently can only dream of. However, it still doesn't remove the fact that the Lynx isn't a useful platform for today or the future in an army role.

The F Lynx will operate very well from small decks and I am sure that the Army will adapt them to the task required.
Nail on the head there. Fine for the Navy but the AAC will just have to make do with a limited platform because someone couldn't be bothered to demand a proper role for it. Or realistically; make the aircraft fit current/future doctrine and roles. Ie; the core roles of the AAC. Instead they just rewrote it to fit what we were given. Not cricket and will imho, spell the end for the AAC.