PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot's In Flight Announcements
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 21:16
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a pilot when I listen to the radio in the car or at home I am studying the announcer to learn what I can from somebody who makes their living speaking to the public. Before I speak I try to figure out who the audience is and what they may be interested in. I tailor what is said depending on the listeners. Most of the time people just want to be spoken to respectfully, they want to know where they are and when they are going to get where they paid to go and what the weather will be like when they arrive. I try to keep it brief and interesting and am frequently complimented. Only once have I had a passenger upset with something I said, and that is another story.
When it comes to maintenance delays a few well chosen words spoken at the proper time can defuse a lot of frustration and headaches for everybody in back. I tell the passengers the truth about the “problem” in non-aviation plain English, what is being done to rectify the situation and an estimate on when the fix will be complete or when more information will be forthcoming. I try to do this every 20 minutes but not less than twice an hour. Works like magic.