PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do ATCO’s self assess their R/T performance ?
Old 30th Dec 2008, 21:15
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Scott wrote:
Heard them give it ON FREQUENCY and in an UNFRIENDLY way enough times!!!

Well Scott, I probably live in a more friendly part of the world (or more ATCO fearing maybe ?). But in the past odd 40 years I've listened to a lot of RT and apart from the failing ATCO's mike or radio, no personal remarks ever heard about the ATCO's RT performance. Questioning some decisions, yes maybe, but even then very limited on RT itself, always discussed later on over the phone (so I never knew who won ). Only remeber 1 case about fifteen years ago, when an regional 1st officer complained -the unfriendly way- about the MET report given by the TWR (too much difference with actual cloud base - not even the ATCO's responsability!)ending in a strong discussion on RT followed by ATCO instructing pilot to come up to the tower (yes, small reginal airport). Apparantly, pilot ignored that request; half an hour later, on the outbound flight, at the start-up request from the same 1st officer, ATCO refused the clearance until pilot came to the tower . Shortly after, the captain intervened, pointing out that delaying a scheduled flight is seriuos business, ATCO came to its senses and captain continued doing the RT until handover to departue ATC. Rumours were that those two 'roosters', had a personal (girl-friend) issue