PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental 737 Off Runway at DEN
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 17:05
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd be very surprised if an experienced crew like this were found to have made such a hash of a simple x/wind T/O . . . . . . . . UNLESS the R/W friction characteristics were way slippier than reported/ expected ,and therefore way out of limits.
Apart from some mechanical failure of nose gear, brakes or a flight control, I think that is the most plausible reason for departing the paved surface for a bit of rallying for any reasonably experienced crew.
I suppose to that list you could add an uncommanded reverser leaving them with full reverse on the left side and normal take-off thrust on the right, that would make for a fairly rapid departure stage left when combined with a crosswind.
The crux of the matter , which we don't know yet, is whether the T/O was abandoned because of a problem, and control "subsequently" lost because of this problem directly, or a degrading of control because of assymetric braking/reverse thrust. . . . . or whether it was abandoned because of loss of directional control exclusively or as a result of a problem.
Before I tie myself in knots. . . . . did they abandon because they lost control, OR did they lose control because of whatever made them abandon or the effect of this on the stopping phase, or indeed their own inputs.
Duh. . that is clear. . . well maybe?