PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 30th Dec 2008, 15:30
Capt Krunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueFalcon:

well, you have a tough choice there my friend, some may say easy but I do not see it that way.
some may say.. QA is not a place that has a lifestyle, ( I tend to agree) social life is on layovers, SOPs are also very strict ( problem is sometimes it seems everyone has their own interpretation). however, in KAL as you mentioned.. permenent F/O, whereas QA you stand a chance of a upgrade in 5 years or so, this is provided you ( or your partner) have not made any SIM errors or line check blunders, and have kept your nose clean, also of course you must pass the command interviews and assesments.

so given the fact that you have limited experience and relatively low time, also keeping in mind the global market situation, my best advise would be to come here ( QA ) you just need to do good, put up and shut up, then you'll have a job until your reach the stage where you can take a upgrade out of the place, this is the only one clear advantage you'll have over the KAL position. don't get your hopes up over the 777, yes they are hiring allot of DEC's and F/O's on that fleet as it's the new bird in the yard, but at the same time we are short F/O on the 330 in a desperate way ( most of us now fly many Co-Capt trips because of this). your placed where needed at the time, unless your type rated, goes without saying i guess.
if thats not important to you, the KAL is the right choice, But be clear, in QA you ARE treated as a second class citizen full stop, I can't say what the ExPat life in Korean would be like having never lived there.

Mr Repeat
Yes they are still looking for ( more like needing) guys, knock on the door again is my suggestion.

Poisoned by Compromise
Krunch