PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NDB approach - GPS may be used in-lieu of NDB, using NDB waypoint ?.
Old 30th Dec 2008, 09:57
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoop Wash my mouth out! NDB approaches can still be useful..

I agree that in lighties given the choice and time a straight in GNSS RNAV APCH with a TSO 146a GPS unit is tops in the absence of an ILS.

BUT let's say you've had advice (perhaps even from NAIPS!) that the cloud base is higher than the 10NM MSA and you plan to descend to MSA on track trusting you'll either get clear sooner or later (up to the point of circle to land from over the field if visual at the MSA by then). Blackall is a good example: 10NM MSA is 2400'. If you don't get clear (b@gger!) then you have a choice of either chugging out to the start of the the GNSS RNAV APCH (a total of 20+ NM at 2700') or continuing over the top of the aid and chugging around a 6 minute total (out 2 1/2, turn 1, in 2 1/2 minutes - if you don't have to enter via the hold - another 3-4 min) NDB APCH with the supplementary assistance of your trusty TSO'ed GPS.... Ballarat and Ballina (stuck in the B's!) are another couple of places (amongst quite a few others that don't have GPS arrivals) where it can be useful.

Of course, places like Georgetown and Point Cook only have an NDB APCH....

I too don't understand why the NDB approaches can't be flown with an appropriately TSO'ed GPS. I've seen more ADF units and NDBs go Tango Uniform than GPS systems ...