PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 09:34
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More stories please. Just loving this thread as I have to admit to a very soft spot for the DC-9 family including the 717.

Best time as a pax was in one, a Swissair DC 9-32 out of Linate (Milan) for Zurich. After all the pax had been loaded there was an annoucement from the cockpit (in at least 4 languages) that 2 pax had not shown and that everyone had to disembark and identify their luggage. This was 1974 and there had been a spate of terrorist attacks in Europe.

Everyone trooped off and identified their bags and I was one of the last to reboard. No seat allocation so I got lumbered with one right down the back between the engines. However, there was a benefit to that as the aisle seat was reserved for one of the hosties (its 1974 so to heck with the PC) and she was a stunner.

As one does we got to talking as the aircraft taxied out. She had just joined the company and was on European ops before being allowed on the intercontinental flights. After the takeoff she excused herself as she had to go to work. I asked her whether coffee was being served and she said, no as it was only a 20 minute flight, but would I like one. Yes please.

The look on the other passengers faces as she walked from the forward galley with one coffee pot, one cup and saucer and a smile. She could have had me for life. Good things happen on DC-9s'.

Last edited by PLovett; 30th Dec 2008 at 09:45. Reason: Story time