PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do you use gps
Thread: do you use gps
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 02:15
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sciolistes, I am trying to figure out if you are just trying to troll or if you are serious about your comments regarding the use of a GPS for safety and additional situational awareness........so I read all of your posts and copied this one....

Occasionally, with the Capt's agreement, I sometimes choose to disconnect at FL100ish and perhaps get the Captain to take the FD off on final. Keeping on top of raw data handling is important as flying is a multi-faceted skill and all areas need regular exercise. However, the most important thing is managing the flight as a whole which really requires automation to keep work load down for both pilots in anything less than excellent VMC and a low traffic environment (as previously mentioned).

Yes, the 737 is very easy to pole around the sky, but if it does get unstable the situation can deteriorate incredibly rapidly!

Somehow I think you are trolling because even with only 300 hours as a pilot I find it difficult to believe you are trying to convince people that the DR and a pencil and time piece means of navigation is preferable to using the GPS.

Then again I have had a few low time FO's who truly didn't have a clue about flying.

Maybe it is the training they get these days?