PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do you use gps
Thread: do you use gps
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2008, 01:03
Sciolistes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the UK alone has several hundred serious busts a year, so "something" needs to be done and dead reckoning is clearly not going to get any better because that horse has been flogged since about 1910
What have these busts got to do with GPS or DR? What it is that places a well executed flight in the wrong place with such regularity? There were regular busts in the Southampton CTA which I doubt has anything to do with what kit was aboard, more how the flight was managed. I wonder if distractions exacerbated by marginal weather (particularly poor vis) and/or insufficient planning are at the root cause.
To say that GPS is absolutely unnecessary when flying VFR is an over generalisation.
Agreed. Permit me to rephrase your paraphrase to "GPS is unnecessary when flying VFR".
Agreed! Reasonable but totally useless detail!! The USE of GPS is not taught at JAA CPL level; in either theory or the flying course.
I regard the architecture of NAVSTAR as well as the operation, function, performance and limitations of GPS as pertinent to the use of GPS. I suspect you are referring more to what buttons to push. However, perhaps the CPL/ATPL theory could describe the Garmin GNS in the same way that it teaches the Boeing FMS. I'd go with that.

With regard to the flight phase of CPL training, what additional training would you like to see?
Sciolistes, your screen name does give it away, no ?
If there was a prize, it would be yours
Too much? Not if you're well trained and used to it.
Don't knock the Haili Salaisse Aviation Academy.
Necessary? Probably not, but I look at it as a means of staying proficient with all the kit in the a/c
. Proficiency in addition to necessity, nothing wrong with that.