PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A little Non-standard, but way more fun
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2008, 19:00
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
Let me take the counter intuitive route ... this is a very GOOD event.
1) No one was hurt (even if the FO should subsequently be taken round the back of the fuel dump and given a good kicking!)
2) The carrier will have learnt a valuable lesson. It should ensure that ALL their flight crews smarten up their act and start following the rules. Thus preventing an experiment becoming a truly big smash.
3) It might (just) have an effect upon the FAA. Certainly other carriers in the world can use this as a free example of why there are rules.
As surprising as it may sound, I agree with you … at least in part … actually the first 2 parts!

It seems to me that the regulatory authorities around the world all pretty much insist that a pilot fly the airplane the way the manufacturer’s procedures describe … and, at least in the US, the Flight Operations Evaluation Board and the Flight Standardization Board evaluates the manufacturer’s procedures to see if any adjustments might be necessary – this includes approaches and landings. This being the case, what kind of effect do you think this circumstance will or should have on the FAA, as you describe in the 3rd part of your justification for this being a good event?