PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Are The R.A.F. Regiment For?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2008, 16:37
BackfromIraq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been through the obligatory CCS and GDT, operational training and IRT with them, then working closely with them out on the ground around KAF, I must say that they deal with the monotony of teaching the same courses every month, word-for-word as per the SOPs and training directives, with astonishing good humour and do try to make everything they did to us fun, interesting and a positive experience.

Equally, when the Army (NSE/PJHQ) wanted to rip myself and a colleague to pieces for applying mission command, they stepped in to point out, quite clearly, that IRT allowed us to operate outside the wire "occasionally" and that the Army personnel would never have been allowed to operate with them unless they had been through equivalent training. Additionally they very kindly pointed out that most Army personnel who went out to do our job would never have been trained to the same standard that we were.

The fact that they knew to what level we were trained, regardless of the units we'd come from, gave them the confidence to take us, immediately, on board which gave us confidence in them.

Utterly professional in all aspects, I have nothing but the greatest respect for them.