PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - do you use gps
Thread: do you use gps
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2008, 12:01
shortstripper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I was a die hard traditionalist not long ago, but have sine changed my tune! I still believe it is perfectly possible and very desireable to be able to accurately navigate by dead reckoning, using a map, compass, and watch. However, GPS really does take the pressure off you. I bought a simple and cheap bluetooth gps, which I use along with the CAA digital chart and memory map in a pocket pc. In my old open cockpit aircraft it made cross country flying so much more enjoyable than before! In such aicraft map reading when the map is flapping around and the joystick is right where you want to rest the thing is a nightmare! There are tricks you soon learn, but they are nothing compared to a moving map display right where you can see it! Brilliant! I like the digital CAA memory map chart, as you can carry the paper version and instantly switch to it if the signal is lost, reverting back to map reading. The other great feature is the arrow that points out where you will be in 10 minutes at your present speed and direction. Great for radio calls and to work out drift on the go!

SS

PS. One point though ... I'm pretty sure airspace busts have actually increased since GPS came along. Why? Well, I really don't thinks it's just because some "foolhardy" pilots don't use it, do you?

Last edited by shortstripper; 29th Dec 2008 at 14:11.