PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G-AEXF Mew Gull - Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2008, 11:53
DeepestSouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Douglas Bianchi's Personal Plane Services offer: ........Mew Gull G-AEXF ex ZS-ASM, winner 1938 and 1955 King's Cup races and holder UK-Cape and back solo records 1939 - now HAPS machine. Now that is interesting. I would be grateful if you could tell me where that appeared and a date?

It is in "Veteran and Vintage Aircraft (Enlarged Edition)" published by Leslie Hunt of 90, Woodside, Leigh on Sea, Essex and printed by the Essex Chronicle Series Ltd, Westway, Chelmsford, Essex. This is the 2nd Edition - the first, and much smaller, was almost entirely military aircraft and has no mention of XF. There is no publication date but the Foreword mentions planned publication in Autumn 1967, and 'now' as November 1967. This ties in with my memory of buying the book, new, before I left school, which was in 1969. My best guess is that it was finally published in early 1968 but the information was from a point in 1967 at the latest.The photo shows XF from the port side, airborne over the sea with what looks like a stretch of coastline in the background. I'm happy to scan the text and photo to you if that would help either on to this site or via a PM.

Leslie Hunt published both editions to raise money for Truelove's School and his books were 'bible's' for the fledgling aircraft preservation movement in the 1960s - he really was an important figure. I don't know if Leslie is still with us, but perhaps his papers might shed further light.

My sincere respect to you for taking on this task!