PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2008, 04:05
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
so next month when i have my 2 year check i will find out if its all in the mind.
The trouble is, that all vision is in the mind, and you can train the incoming information to mean more to you. This blurs (I know!)...this blurs one's assessment of how well muscle training helps a given prescription.

Your eyes move 2 to 3 times a second, each new scene seemingly refreshing the field, and according to new research at University of Münster in Germany, you have already, in part at least, modeled the target before you lock on to the new image. This is exciting new work - only made possible by fMRI machines - and it spells out our mind's ability to modify our sight, of not totally construct it in the first place.

Similar work has shown that we turn up the contrast when we view items of high value. Well, items that the subject perceives as high value to them. So, more data might be processed when a pilot looks at an instrument panel - as apposed to a tree, or a bag of shopping for example. By this, I mean the initial image, not all the processing done to convert the picture into a flight situation.

'We' seem to be at the end of an authority chain when it comes to structuring that final image.

All this goes towards making me think that some improvement may be caused by our concentration, the nature of the subject cranking up the processing power. It is very difficult to be sure that the final model in the mind is improved entirely by an image that is being fine-tuned by willpower alone.