PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Duty Limitations for cabin crew
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 23:09
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight/Duty time limitations - cabin staff

As far as FAA rules, for the USA and countries using FAA regulations, there are no specific limits for cabin crewmembers. In practice, air carriers often do team cockpit and cabin crews for specific pairings for departure from base, until return to that base.
xxx
Flight crews have flight/duty time limitations on per day, monthly (or 30 days) and annual (or 12 months) periods, that are in listed in FAR 121 "Flight Time Limitations" paragraphs. For cabin crewmembers, all the airlines seem to apply the "per day" limits of cockpit crewmembers.
xxx
As an example, XYZ airline limits a cockpit crew to 12 hours flight and 16 hours duty time limitation. The cabin crewmembers paired with that cockpit crew will therefore be subject to the same limit, and receive same rest after the flight.
xxx
In practice however, cabin crews - within the calendar month - might end up being paired with another cockpit crew after their return to base and rest, and be flying a much higher amount than cockpit crews, on a monthly or yearly base.
xxx
As a pilot, I was limited to 120 hours flight time on a 30 continuous days period, and 300 hours flight time on a 90 days period, and finally 1000 hours on a yearly or 12 month period. I used to know some cabin crewmembers who kept a little "pilot pocket log" who were flying well above cockpit crew limits for such periods. I would not be surprised that some cabin crewmembers would exceed 120 hours flying in 30 day periods, and 1000 hours in 12 month periods.
xxx
One consideration is this. Cabin crewmembers are primordial in safety and evacuation duties and should be well rested to perform these duties. I often have voiced that opinion in some abusive "hajj" operations where cabin crewmembers were forced to operate flights well above cockpit crew flight and duty time limitations. With PanAm, it was company policy to apply same flight/duty limitations to cockpit AND cabin crewmembers.
xxx
Cockpit crewmembers - if wounded and in your seat after an accident, your life may depend on being helped and evacuated by a flight attendant... So, be sure that "Suzy" and "Bruce" are well rested to be able to save your a*se, and drag you to safety, out of your seat.
xxx
While the FAA has flight/duty time limitations for daily periods, there are no "duty time" limitations at all for 30, 90 days and 12 months periods.
xxx

Happy contrails