PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cabin crew first aid training
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 18:27
ShedsRus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin crew first aid training

Have just flown to BHX from AMS.

The girl in the seat next to me had a major nose bleed soon after takeoff. This happened to co-inside with the tea and cake trolley run. I attracted the attention of one of the cabin crew and asked for a supply of paper towels/napkins as the few tissues the girl had were by now used up.
The stewardess (sorry if that's not an appropriate term in this age) looked blank, asked if the girl was OK,was it a nose bleed and did she want any water. She gave a glass of water and a few napkins off the trolley, saying she could get me more if I called and then went back to serving leaving me to look after this stranger.

Neither cabin crew came back to check on the girl and I had to press the call button for more tissues. As this was immediately before the captain put the seat belt signs on it was some time before he came and a bit longer before he came back with the tissues. It may have been my imagination but he did seem a bit p***d off with being asked to do this small act.

Luckily all was reasonably contained by the time we disembarked and the girl was much appreciative of my help.

My point is - should it have been left to me to act ? Surely even on a short 50 minute flight the cabin staff should have had more input in this situation.

I'm no medic. Luckily I am a reasonable expert on nose bleeds having suffered frequently. Surely as a passenger I should not have had to take on this problem as the captain said - the cabin crew are there for your comfort and safety - which should include more that getting you safely off a crashed aircraft and serving drinks - mighty important though those are.

I'm interested in any comments from cabin crew.

In this day of litigation I was put in a situation which could have resulted in my prosecution. I just think there must be procedures for minor traumas and would like to know if these procedures were carried out in this instance.

An otherwise very satisfied member of the SLF club