PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline add ons
Thread: Airline add ons
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 18:20
TartinTon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you need to relax a bit....

That the price is low is not questioned. The hiding of cost is. Is this not clear enough, There have been so many discussions on it.

And is it also not clear that the cost isn't hidden at all. You have a choice. If you don't like it then don't pay it...no-one has a gun to your head!

Is using the toilet of the aircraft, compulsory? Some people never use it. And some carriers do not charge. If not compulsory then, are you free to choose or not to pay a high fee, for the specific service? Are there ways to avoid it? The same goes for the life-jacket. Should you pay dearly if, and only if, you use it?

As far as I'm aware no-one charges for using the toilet. Sounds like you're trying to make a point out of nothing here. Life-jackets/toilets etc are all must haves and as such aren't charged for. What's your point exactly?

Above all, if it is a question of choice, (implying a choice for such a luxury), is it acceptable (and permissible, mind you) to impose a high fee at sellers descretion?

Again, if you don't like the price go somewhere else (assuming you can get it cheaper). That's market forces for you.

Do you know what is a "lion's share"? It is not that the lion takes the large part. It is that the lion pretends to be giving a choice! "Either YOU give me the large part, or I eat you, the choice is yours". Milleniums ago, after the Aesop fables. there have been so many discussions on it.

It is exactly this theme again. A pretence of choice is no choice indeed.

Again it is you that is missing the point, From your example above, I wasn't aware that Ryanair was going to kill you should you refuse to pay the extras (your example, not mine)

To make it hilarious (not outrageous), is the following example: I book a return trip for my 50 (fifty) friends at 1 EUR each, that makes 100 EUR for all, by electron card there is nothing else to be paid (web check-in).

Then one (just one of the company of 50) wants to have a single baggage weighing 19 kg. Let's do the calculation now. The 1 bag=10x2=20 EUR, it's overweight 4kg=4x15x2=120 EUR, check-in for all=50x5x2=500 EUR, If I am "clever" enough, I can register the bag separately with one person reservation, I save 500 EUR, grand "clever" total 140 EUR for one (just one) bag, weighing 19 kgs. Plus the 50 friends 100 EUR, weighing 4 tons. Do you really think this is casual? not carefully calculated to keep customers off guard? That is to deceive them, to defraud them?

The question why do they not include the fee into the ticket price, is easily answered, Because this way there would not be a deceit, deceit is the intention!

From your above example then clearly you're an idiot. If you're 4 kilos overweight then pay for 2 bags and split the load. Once again the airline hasn't deceived you. It has told you what the allowance is and what the charges are.

The fact that you can always read the small print and calculate the total cost, makes the whole process purposefully complicated, to the end of defrauding.

No it doesn't. As in most contracts if you're too damn lazy to read the small print then that's no-one's lookout but yourself and you deserve what you get. The world owes you nothing.

I'm no apologist for Ryanair or any of the other low-cost/low-fare airlines out there who charge extras but at the end of the day you always have a choice.
Read what they are going to charge you for and also how you can avoid it and stop bleating about how unfair it is that everything in life isn't free.

As for the guy who's complaining about the fact that his 2p fare cost him the "outrageous" £10.02....get a life for God's sake. Before Ryanair the best you probably would have done is £200 on BA. Some people have very short memories.....

Last edited by TartinTon; 28th Dec 2008 at 18:22. Reason: Corrected previous posters spelling