PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAA and the DC-9
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 17:17
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The -9 was a - maybe THE - classic case of "if it looks good, it will fly well".

For this little black duck at least, a DC-9 cockpit at night, especilly with the floods set off and only the integral instrument lights on was about as near to orgasmic as I was ever likey to get without a very co-operative and naked young lady close at hand.

I went for the -9 to the 72, and (although I learned to love the 72) it was positively agricultural compared to a -9.

Ansett's first two -9's (CZA and B) had open overhead lockers not unlike a 1960's tour bus. I can't recall there being too many problems with pax carry on bags falling out in turbulence, but do recall that the open overhead lockers allowed for great sport on turnarounds, when one pilot would 'casually' get himself down the back to trap one hapless FA in between him and the other pilot at the front of the cabin. (FA? We called them hosties back then.) A quick flick and a hoist from the two pilots would land the hostie on her back in the overhead locker, generally within a minute or two of the pax boarding - and there was no getting out without help.

These days both pilots would be up on assault and sexual harrassment charges.