PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 13:04
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really true, training constitutes a very important part of airworthiness and a number of recent helo fatalities have been as a result of inadequate aircrew training and experience, coupled with complex operational missions. You will probably never understand what drives some people to correct a wrong or effect change. After all, it is so much easier simply to carry on and pretend it never happened. Not sure if you are aware how seriously MoD are now treating airworthiness issues, particularly with regard to legacy aircraft. Next year MoD will be in Court over the deaths of the Nimrod crew over Afghanistan. This issue isn't going away, so get used to it.

And if you really do think campaigners should just drop it, then please read the following accout of the success of the "shot at dawn" campaign started 72 years after the relatives of combat stressed soldiers were executed by their colleagues.

Must be great in your world...

Families to mark pardons with march past Cenotaph

The families of 306 first world war soldiers executed for desertion and cowardice will march past the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday in celebration of their pardons, one of their leading campaigners said yesterday.John Hipkin, 80, a retired Newcastle schoolteacher and founder of the Shot At Dawn group, said he was overjoyed at the pardons. "It is great news. I could not believe it. It is long overdue."
He believed the government could not stand any more of the criticism that arose every time a case for a pardoned soldier came to court. Last year, the high court said there was "room for argument" that the soldiers had been wrongly refused a conditional posthumous pardon.
Mr Hipkin said the fact John Reid was no longer defence secretary may have helped the decision. He added: "The German army was twice the size of the British army but only shot 25 soldiers for the same offences that we shot 305. Tell me which was the more brutal army?"
Members of the Shot At Dawn campaign, set up in 1990 after the military records of those shot were published, have said they do not wish to rewrite history, but to get justice for those who were denied it.
Des Browne, the defence secretary, said in a statement yesterday: "Although this is a historical matter, I am conscious of how the families of these men feel today. They have had to endure a stigma for decades. That makes this a moral issue too, and having reviewed it, I believe it is appropriate to seek a statutory pardon." This could be by an amendment to the armed forces bill going through parliament.