PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reclining seats send airline tempers soaring
Old 28th Dec 2008, 11:33
Xeque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem isn't that seats recline with passengers free to use the facility if they want to. The problem is WHEN the seat is reclined. Nothing angers me more on a long haul flight in economy when the pax in front fully reclines the seat the moment the aircraft is airborne to when the cabin crew insist they put it upright again prior to landing. This includes at least two meal services which I tend to enjoy but certainly cannot if my freedom of movement is so badly restricted.
There is also the cretin that suddenly and without warning, fully reclines their seat when a drinks or food service is in session or if I'm enjoying the IFE with a drink in hand. I've had red wine, beer, gin and tonic and hot coffee catapulted into my lap by such inconsiderate prats.
I'm intrigued by the Cathay Pacific alternative but I wonder whether this has been achieved at the expence of seat pitch?
I've sounded off on the subject of economy class seating many times over the past couple of years. The notion that First and Business Class pays for the flight is cr@p. Have you ever traveled with an airline that was content to have First and Business Classes fully booked whilst Economy was empty?
The truth is that the airlines blatantly use Economy Class revenues to subsidize First and Business. That is born out by the failure of such airlines as Silverjet and EOS who tried the one class Premium business model but found that it could not be sustained at current premium fares.
What is needed is a one class 'Standard' aircraft layout that uses 2-4-2 configuration with an absolute mimimum of 40 inches seat pitch. Those who would like that little 'extra' can be offered value added services such as an enhanced menu and additional IFE options over and above the 'Standard' fare. All beverages should be paid for.
Lottery winners and those whose employers foot the bill should be able to take advantage of specially fitted out, smaller aircraft from Bizjet to A320/B737 size with fares that actually cover the cost of such travel.
Don't be fooled by screams of 'it can't be done' from the beancounters. The likes of Ryanair do just what I propose albeit they are offering (sometimes) much lower fares.What I am advocating is using the current, fixed economy class fares and on-line reservations services but cutting out the cost (to we economy class pax) of the fancy lounges, additional cabin staff and all the other rubbish that surrounds First and Business Class air travel.
And (PS) Can someone tell me what a MIL is please?

Last edited by Xeque; 30th Dec 2008 at 11:51. Reason: A small grammer corection