PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 09:20
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone.

I was going to stay out of this current debate, as it's nothing more than the typical post-MoD decision "why not leave it guys" argument that always happens. However, I want to clear up a few points.

VSF, the Campaign has never said that the guys didn't get it wrong. They may well have done. However, the point in question is that the rules in place forbid the finding of negligence (let alone gross negligence) unless there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever. Wratten, himself, acknlwledged that there was a degree of speculation in this case (although stated that it was futile to speculate in another case). There was no CVR or ADR on the Chinook, so the bottom line is no one will ever know with absolute certainty what happened. The list of problems with the Chinook fleet, in particular, this aircraft, the limited post accident evidence and witness testimony is all on this thread and even collectively, does not provide a definitive answer.

With regards the point of keeping the wounds open for others, I have received many emails of support from family members of others lost in the accident, so your two twenty-ninths is not quite accurate. I do feel I can speak on behalf of a number, but accept not all, of them.

So John Day didn't get CAS. Well boo hoo. He did walk out into the BAE Senior Military Advisor's post immediately upon leaving the RAF, despite the independent watchdog who monitors the movement of officials to companies recommending that he should wait a year before taking up his new BAE job. The Prime Minister, Tony Blair personally overruled them stating it was "in the national interest" for him to do so I don't think I'll be reaching for the kleenex too soon for him.

The bottom line is that no one knows what happened that day and the burden of proof required to find deceased pilots negligent has not been met.

Have a safe 2009.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook