PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOA funding of UK retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2008, 09:03
Liam Gallagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quadspeed

I read your posts accurately, perhaps that's the problem.

The only "if" condition in the second paragraph of your post yesterday was... "If a signifcant amount of members .."; the rest of your post lead me to believe you were on the GC. Thanks for clarifying your position.

No pilot in his right mind wants pilots extended on reduced conditions; it's bad for him and bad for me. However, it's happening and been happening for such a long time, it's entrenched. Your point, whilst vaild, is outdated. The question is, and has been for a number of years, what can we do about it?

The AOA has been very slow to act on the BPP issue, almost to the point of impotency. The impact of a successful Appeal in the UK is hard quantify. Some argue it would only affect those on the UK base, others say that it may prompt the Company to issue new contracts to all... be careful what you wish for....

You, and others, blandly say...."...any reduction in T&C as a result of age is, clearly, age discrimination." Whilst I wholly sympathize with the argument, it is incumbent upon you to come up with some case history rather than a bland statement.

Is it clearly ageism? No one was holding a gun to the retirees' heads; they didn't have to accept the lesser conditions. They could walk away at 55 at the end of their contract. They wilfully accepted the lesser conditions. Further, I'm just not certain the Law or even society is that interested in a bunch of spoilt overpaid pilots. I can't help but feel that if this issue was race or religion (one in particular..ahem..) rather than age, we would even be discussing an Appeal.

Finally, you were very selective in your quotes of your previous posts. Try quoting the bit were you float me out as Management, merely because I express a view contrary to your view of "the party line". Whilst, I readily accept your retract the idea in the next paragraph it was clearly an attempt to play the old "they're either with us or against us" tactic.