PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laptop Recommendation...
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2008, 16:29
Lew747

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Laptop Recommendation...

Hey all!

I purchased an Acer Aspire 5920 earlier in the year. I was blinded by the many features it offered such as 3GB of RAM, 250GB HDD, built-in webcam etc. But it turned out not to be very good at all! Especially when it came to the game front...

Needless to say my car insurance quote came through and decided to sell the laptop as it wasnt doing me many favours just to help pay off some of it off.

I've now decided however that I really do miss having a laptop! I am thinking about buying another and would like some recommendations. I want a piece of kit that will last me a couple of years at least. I'm setting a budget of £500 or under.

Preferably at least 250GB HDD, Large amount of RAM as im quite application thirsty! And...The ability to play Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (or FSX etc) with a good frame rate and speed. (I'm a student pilot and am thinking of using flightsim for instrument training purposes). I also would like this lappy to have a built in webcam, wi-fi and if possible a bluetooth application built in. And finally, something thats small enough and lightweight to be carted around easily.

I've been searching around and cannot seem to find something that meets my needs. I don't think i'll touch anything with Acer on it anymore, and probably the same goes with HP. Usually there are sacrifices made on other components. I assume that in order to run flightsim you need a good graphics card, processor etc. Well i'm a bit of a novice with this sort of stuff so if anyone could point me in the right direction with a laptop thats got 'above average' processing power and a decent graphics card (Nvidia, AMD etc), that would be helpful! (Flightsim installed and loaded fine on my Acer but the frame rate was awful! About 3 FPS!).

Cheers

Lewis