PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC9 Tug crew depart aircraft with covered up fuselage damage.
Old 27th Dec 2008, 16:09
possel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, ferrydude, I don't think it's ignorance, nor is it my grandpa's memory. I'm not a commercial pilot but I am a qualified Chartered Engineer with a PPL, a degree in aeronautical engineering and years of experience of aircraft maintenance which specifically includes the problems encountered with the Harrier GR5 on its introduction to service.

I would like to hear if anyone else thinks the concerns of unreported damage are unwarranted. It's bad enough if people do not report visible damage, but when it is invisible I think the concerns are still valid. There is no guarantee that a loader will leave a mark but it could certainly do damage. I always looked at this sort of issue in isolation to the commercial influences, which is why I'm glad I was in the RAF, I guess.

I say again, all of the Boeing "fixes" mentioned in the link on post #37 are just sticking plaster over the real problem which is that damage can be invisible, so must be reported when it happens.

So tell me, what action do you expect if you see a guy drop a spanner on a composite wing or a loader hit the composite fuselage? How do you know it's safe to fly?