PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DC9 Tug crew depart aircraft with covered up fuselage damage.
Old 27th Dec 2008, 13:10
possel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Ferrydude - I have looked at the link you gave in #37 about composites, but I would say that concerns ARE still warranted, when even CompositesWorld.com admit: "Damage will occur, however, and when it does, the first step is to assess if and how much internal damage there is within the laminate.... Yet, when a small dent is noticed during visual inspection at the gate...". I wish it was that simple.

The point is that dropping a tool onto a wing may well leave no mark - after all the composite is tough - so no walk-round check will find it. However, significant damage may well still have occurred in the load-bearing structure which could endanger safety long before the next Check, when you would still need to NDT the entire wing surface to find it!

So safety with composites is largely reliant on the honesty of individuals, which was the point of this thread in the first place.

I can see that Boeing are indeed doing a lot of work re the repair of composites, but they all seem to be either metal patches on composite, or actually only apply to unstressed panels etc, not primary structure. How do they propose to do quality assurance on the hot-bonded scarf repair in load bearing structure? Are you going to be happy to fly with such a repair, or is ignorance of the damage bliss?