PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helios Crash
Thread: Helios Crash
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2008, 06:49
airsnoop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boeing has already done the work and taken the simple but effective expedient of adding a Cabin Altitude caution, but for some reason I don't understand, it has not been yet implimented.
The most telling part of the AD is:
"Unsafe Condition
(d) This AD results from continuing reports that flightcrews have failed to recognize and react properly to the cabin altitude warning horn. We are issuing this AD to prevent failure of the flightcrew to recognize and react to a valid cabin altitude warning horn, which could result in incapacitation of the flightcrew due to hypoxia (lack of oxygen in body) and consequent loss of
airplane control."
Writing a procedure should only be a temporary fix for a design weakness, so let's stop procrastinating and get the light in before it happens again.
After 50 years in the business as a driver airframes and 25 of those as an accident investigator, can I appeal to the Greeks and the Cypriots, and now the Spanish, to drop the blamefest and let the professionals get on with the business of Air Safety.
Can I also appeal to organisations such as ICAO-ISASI-FSF to stand up and be counted, your silence is deafening!
That's it, I'll wind my neck in - to all in "the business" have a happy and safe 2009