PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British v American approach to flying
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2008, 14:01
WhirlwindIII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SASless

Yes, more a combined authority discussion but my experience is limited to CAA/FAA and I do agree the UK system seems to value safety a bit more, but as you say, "at what cost". I remember all the CAA writtens, systems and law and type technicals - challenging and what a helicopter pilot seems to favor, knowledge of the field, or is it just theory disguised as *&^%&&&& ? I won't go towards a discussion of JARs etc. Far too much thinking and far too little knowledge.

Shawn

Agree. In years past I had a few years of reasonably close dealings with AFS 400 - 420 and 800 etc., and those in OKC, and a few of the supporting arms and organizations to find the size of the beurocracy and its inefficiencies create a huge impediment to writing regulation, which may not be how it is in the UK/Europe. As a result I see the FAA pretty much 'regulating' by Ops Spec, etc. This may in fact be more efficient, flexible, and useful than the UK regulatory approach but I do admire the latter's standards and overall think them useful, albeit cumbersome, annoying, and very expensive. Just me.