PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British v American approach to flying
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2008, 13:12
SASless

Received 523 Likes on 218 Posts
I would think this is more an FAA/CAA,CASA/JAA/EASA discussion vice American/British/Australian per se.

Granted the various national personalities have a bearing upon the process and that in itself might be telling a bit about our various mindsets and views upon what is important and what is not.

The real discussion should be about how to cherry pick the good parts of the various systems and meld them into a single system that would work worldwide re licensing, training, and operations.

But that requres a decision as to what the priorities must be towards cost, structure, and philosophy.

All that being said.....I find very little in the CAA system to embrace beyond perhaps the CAA/UK system seems to value safety a bit more than perhaps some of others....but at what cost?

The FAA accessibility, building block approach to licensing and testing for those licenses plainly beats the CAA concept.

The funding method of the US FAA system seems superior to the UK/CAA.

The "costs" to the user cannot be beat in the US FAA system.

I can assure you....my once intricate knowledge of "cereal bowl" compasses....and valve overlap and cam timing....and the landing gear system of a Lancaster Bomber never made me a "better" helicopter pilot.

That being said....I have made good use of old Lord Buys Ballot's law! If I could just remember if it is the right or left arm....and which hemisphere requires which arm? Too many choices I guess!