PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reporting point 2RN
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2008, 06:41
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok so YPJT is simular to YSBK in so far as 1 runway is used for circuit training 29L/11R and the other 29R/11L for arrivals/departures. This requires pilots to overfly depending on which runway is in use. As I said in my post #94 this would have to change to get full benifit from less congestion. By halving the amount of traffic aiming for the same runway you should half the risk. Circuit training is shared between the active runways. That is how a true GAAP operates and most of them do this. My home airfield is Parafield and does this as does Moorabin and on memory Archfield also (though at YPPF they do prefer to get the circuit traffic on 03R/21L if possible due traffic amounts). Here at YPPF we also have just 2 inbound reporting points (just like Bankstown) OHB to the west and the SUB to the north. As we have a college here plus Uni and 3 or so flying schools all out at the training area along with a lane of entry all feeding into OHB it can get a bit hairy on occasions and I hold my breath at times waiting for the inevitable.
I am open to a way to prevent this and as I said previously the US nas is the best I've heard so far. These type of discussions can only help to improve the system even if by only making pilots aware of the dangers. I have a brother who fly's and now a son in addition to myself. If one of us ever went down in a collision at a GAAP I would like to think others would discuss the issue and try and come up with a safer way to do things so it would never be repeated.