PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has a pax ever made you cry ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2002, 13:12
Evacu8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Made me laugh (at them )? - yes!
Made me angry? - yes!
Given me a headache? - yes!

But made me cry? - never!

I have been flying for 9 years now, over three airlines.

On my very first flight, my line trainer told me the golden rule of cabin crew.... never take it personally!! (even when it's comments that are aimed personally at you!).

Most pax who are angry, arent angry at you personally!

Usually they are peed off about the company....and as you are the 'face' of the company, and spend more time with the pax than anyone else (and cant 'escape' them!!), they tend to take their frustrations out on you..... you really do get used to it.

I tend to find it amusing these days as to exactly how worked-up some people can get over the smallest things!!

If people go that beserk at me, I tend to stop them half way through their ranting and raving, with a smile on my face let them know "I'll be back later sir, when you have calmed down a bit", and just walk away.... it usually works, and makes them think about how stupid they are making themselves look.

Now that I am in charge of, and responsible for, other crew on board, any customer makes one of my crew cry through abuse, they have two choices:-

1) appologise to the crew member for their behaviour.

2) continue 'causing a disturbance'/ 'abusive behaviour' on board the aircraft, be met by police at the destination and face charges which means a jail sentence and/ or a hefty fine.

Fortunately we now have the laws to protect us from abusive and disruptive customers.

Crew just need to familiarise themselves with the laws, and use their knowledge of the laws to help them in these situations.

A major part of the job these days is customer service, and it's true that cabin crew make a lot of difference between whether or not a customer will fly that airline again.......but it is always true also, that there are some customers you simply dont want flying with your airline again