PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Former ALPA President in line for FAA Administrator Position
Old 25th Dec 2008, 21:08
GetTheFlick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we should hire an air traffic controller to run an airline. Makes about as much sense.

An air traffic control system isn't an airplane. It isn't an airline either. Pilots know as much about air traffic control as I know about flying a B777. If the FAA had 15,000 airline pilots working for them an airline pilot might have some insight. They don't. Sorry guys.

Mr. Woerthe might make a decent Administrator. The fact that he was a union guy is a plus for me. But the fact that he's a pilot doesn't do a thing for me (or, I suspect, any other controller.) We've been led by pilots before. How's that been working out ?

Oh, and another thing. This "modernizing" that everybody is so hot about -- what do you think you want ? ADS-B ? Self-separation ? Faster, newer computers ? Data-link ? Air traffic control doesn't use the "latest greatest". We never will. We use the most stable and proven. IOW, the safest.

Lockheed modernized FSS. How's that working out ? A 50% decline in "customers". Anybody "saved" any money ?

Somebody needs to do some serious thinking.

Don Brown