PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do helicopter pilots come from helicopter parents?
Old 25th Dec 2008, 12:04
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Rebellious Child.....Me?

I would not describe my parents as being "Helicopter Parents" as I sabotaged their scrutiny of my school grade reports and mid-term Progress Reports by means of a tracing table I made using the glass top to my study desk at home. I had a future as a forger until I got "busted" when my scheme ran off the cliff.

My grades....remembering I discovered beer, airplanes, and girls all about the same time....almost put paid to any hope of attending university. My continued embrace of beer and girls during my very short tenure at university pointed me towards other endeavours.

Combine the looming sure thing I would be allowed the honour of serving my fellow Americans by General Hershey's organization and that love of beer, girls, and flying.....made the decision to take up helicopter flying all the easier in 1967.

I, in a very weak moment of teenaged clarity, figured flying helicopters beat riding in the back of them carrying a rifle and wearing a rucksack.

Thus, I reckon my aversion to back packing is what made me a Helicopter Pilot more than anything else....besides perhaps a weakness for drink and the ladies.