PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Europe no salaries ? true or false ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2008, 11:22
goaroundnow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAPPY CHRISTMAS

I am not willing to write exactly what is happening within the corridors of SkyEurope. It is confidential and I still believe not totally relevant.

When we were asked to help, it was just that .. a question. We could say no. Some did, most didn't. So other airlines may well be looking on with interest. What is to say, though, that their employees would on the whole agree? What we have and haven't done is certainly not going to dilute terms & conditions for others in the future, if that is a concern.

If any company (and any industry) as a whole is in trouble then cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't helping anyone. Say, for example, SkyEurope had gone bust 2 months ago. Then another seemingly "secure" airline later - those Sky pilots might be further up the queue for the few jobs out there. A slight twist I know: but maybe we have helped in a weird way!! Who would have thought XL or Sterling would go before SkyEurope? At least those pilots haven't got another 160 candidates to fight for work (at the moment!)

If the alternative is almost certain, imminent unemployment then I cannot believe anyone wouldn't be willing to help in the short-term. Especially with the prospect of walking into another job immediately almost non-existent.

As pilots we are in a unique position (well this is how I see it) in that even by working for "free" (which is not what SkyEurope pilots are doing) we are at least gaining something valuable - hours in the log-book. It's not ideal but it's not forever. I am not saying it's sustainable but it's better that being furloughed, i.e. no pay, no hours, nothing to get up for etc.

By the way, SkyEurope is a public company which means a lot of announcements etc are published. You can also track their share price. A small amount of research will show you that a new investor has come forward, has lent money and (according to various newspapers) has plans and ambitions for SkyEurope. They would know all the details of various internal agreements, obviously. They have still proceeded.