PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Europe no salaries ? true or false ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2008, 09:29
Nightfire

SkyEurope is hardly a start-up carrier anymore.
True. I disagreed many times with the steps that the management has taken in the past. Especially since it is no longer a new company with a certain "startup-credit", their actions were sometimes hard to understand. And often enough they proved to be very wrong. We all know that.

CEO giving a bash to people. Yes well many companies and CEO's have functions like that off duty. 2 companies that I have worked for had several in fact and I know of 10 off hand that do the same. Nice touch from them but hardly relevant to the work one is supposed to do.
Really? Are you sure? I believe that it is a big motivation for everyone.

There is a BIG but here. Using your own car, working in the office without compensation. I am sorry for sounding cynical or greedy, BUT (and that's the big one) I expect to be paid for my time and compensated for my contribution for the company.
Yes, of course. Nobody works for nothing. But as I have already said earlier, it is the positive attitude of employees which keeps that airline going. The other option would be to demand what is rightfully yours, and then find yourself looking for a new place to go to within a few months. We all agree that SkyEurope was expected to go down years ago, and still it has always survived.
A strike of pilots, the Alitalia-way, would mean the certain end now, which is in nobody's interest.

OM-A clearly depicts the responsibilities of crew members and other personnel, contracts set out the payment for different functions and jobs performed such as office work. If the work has not been asked to be performed by the company and it is not part of my job description or I don't get paid to go to the office on my days off flying. Well then I am very sorry. I rather spend it home with my family, friends or out sightseeing.
Yes, but forgive my sarcastic remark: You may suddenly have more time to stay at home with your family than you'd like, in times like these.
Many people that I knew during my time with SKY were of the same opinion, and they all left within weeks or months. Often without even keeping the notification-period for resigning - which, in turn, led to their flights suddenly being distributed among other people's rosters and in the cancelling of their OFF-days.

I remember one time, where volunteers spent the whole night at the airport, after the delivery of four seccond-hand 737-300 aircraft; we had to change labels and stickers all around the planes' cabins, remove old logos, placard new ones, clear out old rubbish, and things like that.
What we got for it, as a reward, was a free breakie from McDonalds, sponsored privately by one of our managers.

Sure, that's not what anyone of us were hired to do, but it was actually good fun - nobody had been forced to participate, the email only said "anybody who would like to help...". What's the problem with that? I actually even found it interesting, to see what kind of papers are required when leasing a plane, and what kind of items were delivered with it. The cargo-compartments were full of surprises.

Commercial flying with some companies might seem just like an Aeroclub BUT (a big one again) it certainly is NOT an aeroclub. Nor should an airline be treated as such.
I agree, and mind you, we were often told just that: "we are NOT a f*ing Aeroclub!" - this sentence usually came when some individuals became too cheeky or bigmouthed.
Most of all, of course, the passengers must not get that impression, but also the rest of staff shouldn't think of it that way.

Nevertheless, my colleagues and I simply enjoyed being there. We learned a damn lot during that time, from which I benefit now in my present job. And it somehow felt just like being in an Aeroclub anyway, despite all we say.

As I already wrote, I left the company when the time had come for me to go. It was the necessary and right thing to do, I left on friendly terms, I still have friends back there, and I often miss those easy times.

I am proud and happy that not even MOL's "evil eye" can bring SkyEurope down.

Last edited by Nightfire; 25th Dec 2008 at 09:53.