PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sky Europe no salaries ? true or false ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2008, 08:26
JJflyer
ZbV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Nightfire. That's all fine and dandy. Everyone should do their fair share of the work and make the company work. When working for a start-up that's the name of the game. SkyEurope is hardly a start-up carrier anymore.

CEO giving a bash to people. Yes well many companies and CEO's have functions like that off duty. 2 companies that I have worked for had several in fact and I know of 10 off hand that do the same. Nice touch from them but hardly relevant to the work one is supposed to do.

There is a BIG but here. Using your own car, working in the office without compensation. I am sorry for sounding cynical or greedy, BUT (and that's the big one) I expect to be paid for my time and compensated for my contribution for the company. If one is not very careful, sooner or later companies will expect crews to participate in tasks other than their job function and it becomes an SOP.

This working for free is in the long run extremely unhealthy for the whole work enviroment and also from a management point of view, it disorts the cost structure of the company and makes budgeting flawed as now a lot of functions are based on "Volunteer" work and cannot be put a value on.

OM-A clearly depicts the responsibilities of crew members and other personnel, contracts set out the payment for different functions and jobs performed such as office work. If the work has not been asked to be performed by the company and it is not part of my job description or I don't get paid to go to the office on my days off flying. Well then I am very sorry. I rather spend it home with my family, friends or out sightseeing. Nor will I take a taxi or use my own car if I know that the company will not reimburse me.
This is not to say that I won't help if it is really needed every now and then but won't do it as a rule.

Treatment of people is another matter altogether. Treat the people like you want to be treated. Every company has the a.hole in the office. It is a must. I guess it is a CAA mandatory requirement. Again it is nice to work in a company where you are treated nicely and in the long run company will work better, employees will stay and do their work better. Alas save money and make a better result.

Commercial flying with some companies might seem just like an Aeroclub BUT (a big one again) it certainly is NOT an aeroclub. Nor should an airline be treated as such.

Last edited by JJflyer; 25th Dec 2008 at 09:02.